Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Some user notes on the 7.5HP motor

There are some very steep winding hills nearby that provide a good view on a clear
day. They are like the ones you see in a car commercial from the aerial view of the car
tracking these long curvy steep hills. I decided to take a spin up to see how the new motor would
handle it.

Going up was no problem but coming down was another issue. As most know,with
the 7.5hp motor on the '05 and later the odometer reads half speed and half miles
traveled. Since the governor is disabled one most rely on the brakes only. This issue I believe is unique to 2005 GEMS & later

I did make it down OK but was concerned for the condition of the brakes. I
thought about putting it into low gear but thought 30mph was still too fast (15=30mph).
Perhaps I will do a shorter test run to see if 30mph is better then riding the brake 2 miles
downhill.

I was hoping that the controller could be reprogramed but according to a reply to this posting on the Yahoo NEV group it can't be regrogramed to regen at anything other then 15MPH 0r 25mph. This leads me to believe that '05's and later GEM's do not regen with the 7.5HP installed. I was told it would by Ride-4-Fun thta it did regen. If I'm right I don't think they misled me on purpose but simply got confused with the model year or assumed it did. So for now I have to be aware of hills and it's a shame not to regen when dealing witht them

BATTERY LIFE

No comments: